Unity Street in the early 1960s with the gas works at the dock in the background. Trinity Street ran across this view. The site on the right is where the schools stood.
Photograph by kind permission of Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich. Ref K490/343.
The area is now mostly cleared of housing and small industrial units stand on this site.
Do you have and photographs of the schools?
David Kindred has worked in professional photography for over forty years. For most of his career he was a staff photographer with the East Anglian Daily Times and Evening Star based in Ipswich. David is the author of several books of photographs from his collection of vintage images. David was born in Ipswich in 1946. He still lives in the town today.
- robert walsh on Tower Ramparts School, Ipswich
- Victoria (Vicky) girling on Tower Ramparts School, Ipswich
- Eric Theobald on Ipswich newspaper history.
- Brenda Rivers Bixler on Bluesville – Live Music in Ipswich
- Michael Talman on Life “Over Stoke” in Ipswich.
- kelly delaney on HMS Ganges
- wendy hicks on Smart memories of an Ipswich school
- stephen atkins on Tower Ramparts School, Ipswich
- Terry McCarthy on HMS Ganges
- PETER JOHNSON P.075353 on HMS Ganges
Ipswich: Lost Inns, Taverns and Public Houses
The new book by David Kindred
The book is a remarkable record of some 400 public houses, inns and beer houses. The entries are organised into two sections. The first describes the public houses that have been closed since 1919 and includes photographs of the establishments, while the second lists closures from the eighteenth century to the First World War punctuated with photographs where available. Old Pond Publishing
TagsAircraft crash Big family blues bramford Bramford Road Cemetery Road Children's home Earl Grey felixstowe floods ganges Gas masks Harwich HMS Ganges Ipswich Landseer Secondary Modern School live music manor ballroom Mi Amigo Myrtle Road orphan orphanage Over Stoke parachute mine Pirate Radio radio Radio Caroline Radio London Ransomes and Rapier Ronan O'Rahilly Ross Revenge school school punishment Shotley shrimps St Johns Childrens home St Matthews Stoke Bathing Place suffolk The Mount Tower Ramparts School Vampire war water World War One